Thursday 25 September 2008

NOT: in-i, National Theatre, Southbank

The world premiere of a collaboration between Juliette Binoche, actress-extraordinare, and the choreographer Akram Khan, sounded like it would be an exciting theatrical experience. Unfortunately, I don't think the piece was effective either a dance work, or a theatrical work. It was obvious that Binoche was not a dancer and I found the lack of tautness in her movements distracting, yet when she was acting it was through a rambling monologue where she was suspended ridiculously in the air against a wall. On the other hand, I loved Khan's sharp physicality, but his delivery of dialogue lacked emotional punch. The production's exploration of relationships was too fragmented and lacked the focus and excitement to keep my interest, and I found myself drifting off at times.

No comments: