Friday 9 January 2009

HOT: Frost/Nixon

To paraphrase Billy Ocean - when the going gets hot, the hot go to the cinema. Hence, I've now seen every movie that I want to see at the local cinemas, and even one that I really didn't want to see.

I freely admit that I'm a political ignoramus so I didn't have any real background on Frost/Nixon except that somehow Richard Nixon was involved. As I sat through the film, I thought 'this is odd, I thought this was a true story....but it seems so improbable??'. Putting that thought aside until I could get hold of Wikipedia, I was engrossed by the story arc of louche, partying talk show host David Frost finally focusing on the job and nailing the consummate political operator Nixon to admit wrongdoing in Watergate. I thought the performances were consistently excellent from all the cast, especially Frank Lagella as the arrogant and bull-headed Nixon, and my only difficulty with Michael Sheen these days is that I will forever see him as Tony Blair (in The Queen) so I couldn't really accept him as Frost.

No comments: